Vegetarian Coconut Cake
Vegetarian Coconut cake
- 2 2/3 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/2 sticks unsalted plant-based butter room temperature (not too soft)
- 2 cups organic granulated sugar
- 3 large vegetarian fed eggs brought to room temperature (Wilcox eggs)
- 3 large egg yolks brought to room temperature or egg replacers
- ¾ cup Thai coconut milk
- 1 ½ cup of sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon coconut flavored vanilla
3-9-inch cake pans
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and position a rack in the center of the oven. I like to use Pam flour baking spray to coat my baking pans. Line each baking pan with round paper parchment to protect the bottom of your baked cake.
In a mixer, combine the butter, sugar and vanilla mixing on high slowly adding in each egg at a time and then all of the egg yolks. Mix on high until its light and fluffy.
In a separate bowl, mix the baking powder, salt, and all-purpose flour to aerate evenly. This step will allow the baking powder to evenly distribute throughout your mixture which contributes to an evenly baked cake.
Gently add in the dry mixture to the wet ingredients mixing with a paddle attachment and scraping down the sides of the bowl. Slowly add in the coconut milk and scrap down the sides of the bowl. Also, bring the mixer to a halt and scrap the bottom of the bowl. If you have mixture at the bottom of the bowl that did not incorporate you need to adjust your mixer settings.
Gently fold the shredded coconut into your mixture using a spatula. Do not use the mixture attachment. If you over mix you don’t want all of your shredded coconut at the bottom of your cake. Pour your mixture evenly into the three pans and bake.